Sunday, April 4, 2010

Getting into the groove of this blog thing

So, I've been hearing about and reading blogs for while and wondered if it was for me. I mean, who am I? Who cares what I think or feel? Then I thought some more and realized this was perfect for me! I get to say whatever I want however I want and no one can argue with me! Maybe there is something to this. So about me.....

I am the youngest of 6 children and the only girl. My mother died two days before my 16th birthday. Yup, those are two most interesting facts about me. A few more (possibly less interesting) details:

I have been married to Paul for almost 10 years and we have a daughter, Sara who is 6 and a son, Christian who is 21 months old. We recently moved to Granger, Indiana for Paul's job. To say moving was hard for me would be the understatement of the century. I absolutely hate change. We lived in a fabulous neighborhood and Sara went to a great school. We know and loved all our neighbors. They, in turn, put up with us and allowed us to join in their reindeer games!

So, here I am in this strange place, living in a strange house and surrounded by strangers. Everything is different - the grocery store, the school, the people, the neighborhood. It's been almost 6 months and it still feels surreal - not like a vacation but like it isn't permanent. I cannot describe how strange it is to see our things in this new setting. It doesn't feel like home yet. i used to be able to move around my house almost without thinking. I could reach for things without even thinking about it. Now, I don't know my way around my own house. I have to think about where something is or open 2 or 3 drawers or cupboards before I find something. I feel like a visitor in my own "home". When does it feel like "home"? When does it feel like "us"?
Now, I realize how fortunate we are. My husband got this amazing new job and promotion and so many of my friends and family are out of work. Do I feel like a huge crybaby whining about moving? Yes. Does that stop me from lamenting the loss of the wonderful and familiar life we left behind? Hell, no!
So, this is my first attempt at a blog. We'll see how it goes from here. Frankly, I am not all that fascinating so this may be a very short-lived endeavor.
Good night

No comments:

Post a Comment