Monday, May 3, 2010

If you move, they WILL find you. And feed you.

Still in Indiana. Still being shunned by the Hoosiers. Putting aside my bitching and moaning about my lack of friends, I am attempting to get out, mingle and trick these women into being my friends. I went to a neighborhood gathering, had some cocktails, met some of the other moms and got the general low-down on whose kids will end up on an episode of "Cops". We are also in the neighborhood play group. Things have been going pretty well during the gatherings. Christian will decide to whack some of the other boys without reason but we haven't been kicked out yet. We came awkwardly close on Thursday. Later that night, I received an email from the host saying that Sara may have taken some coins from her daughter. So, I searched her pockets. No coins. Phew! I am not raising a felon. Or so I thought. When I asked her the next morning, she told me she had asked the girl if she could have some of the coins that were on the floor but sadly they fell out of her pockets while playing on the girl's swing set. So, she is not a thief. She is a beggar. Which is worse? Luckily, reinforcements arrived this weekend.

I always knew we were blessed with good friends but moving away (getting voted off the island) makes me appreciate them more every day. We moved here in November and we have had friends from Novi, Pittsburgh and Dundee visit us. My friend, (yes, Paul - MINE - I stole her fair and square) came to visit with her amazingly well-behaved and adorable child this weekend for the third time since we were banished to the cornfields. I'm not sure why but her drive to Indiana from Michigan involved driving through Ohio. She arrived as ordered with assorted baked goods. We had a great weekend with lots of laughs (mostly at me). The kids had a wonderful time playing together - no fights, argument, battles or blood shed. As always I am impressed and inspired by my friend for many reasons. First, she is an amazing mom. She is calm, cool, collected and firm. Her son worships and adorer her. And he LISTENS to her. Wow, can I buy some of that???? Second, she is completely comfortable with who she is. What you see is what you get. Can I buy some of that, too? And, third, she can actually walk into a store, grab the cart handle without having to wipe it down for 10 minutes with bleach wipes. I have been sent into a complete panic upon realizing the cart wipes box was empty. Thankfully, I can wear gloves in the winter. What's a germaphobe suppposed to do in springtime?? It's hard not to freak out at all the cooties on a cart and not a speck of bleach anywhere within reach.

I guess no one is wondering anymore why I'm having trouble making friends. We steal, hit and have "issues" with germs. Hmmmm...... Anyone want to come over, get disinfected and play?

1 comment:

  1. I drive through Ohio because it breaks the trip up - which makes the boy happy. I can tell him about how far along in our trip we are because we go through three states, instead of just two.

    And did you notice? I washed my hands as soon as we got back from the store Saturday night. ;)

    ReplyDelete