Monday, January 9, 2012

Fit For A Queen


There are many reason I, and my whole family, are grateful there is no chance I will ever become a queen. Watching "The King's Speech", as sorry as I felt for the Reluctant King, I felt even sorrier for his wife. Hesitant to even marry him because she knew what life as a royal would entail, she never dreamed she would become Queen. Suddenly, every move you make, every word you utter, how you dress, raise your kids and conduct yourself is open to public ridicule. Your life is not your own and never will be. The entire country comes before you and your family. Not to mention the pesky threat of kidnapping and assassination. I am seized with terror just attending a work function with my husband. What if I trip? Spill something? Say something dumb or insulting? I was raised with manners. I can make chit chat at a cocktail party but beyond that I am a total Neanderthal. I am clumsy. I trip, I spill things, I drop things. Worse, I get nervous and babble or blurt out the first thing that comes to mind. Can you picture me in a tiara chatting up world leaders? Can you see Michelle Obama and I swapping kid stories and fashion tips? Ne neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment