Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Son's Career Goals



I'm a little worried that my 3 year old son has no career goals. He loves listening to the CD of the Sesame Street Live show "When Elmo Grows Up". Basically, Elmo is having a panic attack because he doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up. Ironically, Elmo has been 4 years old for as long as I have known the little furry guy. So, he asks all his furry little buddies and comes up with some career paths - mailman, policeman, cowboy, trash collector, fairy godmother, etc. Whenever I ask Christian what he wants to be when he grows up, he always says "Christian James Velasco Boy". Then, he thought more about it. The other day, he asked me in a panicked voice "mommy, when do I have to grow up?". Not being very quick on my feet, I had to think about it for awhile before coming up with some brilliant parental answer. Sara, being 7, immediately had an answer that made him happy. "Christian, you don't have to grow up until you ARE a grownup.". That answer seemed to satisfy him. I may direct all his questions to her in the future. Luckily, he is very secure in his identity. When asked his name, he proudly declares that he is "Christian James Velasco Boy". Or "Green Lantern". Or "Spiderman". So, we may have to worry about his split personality before we seek out a career counselor for him and all his alter egos. It might be handy having a superhero around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment