Wednesday, September 12, 2012

God Is Always Watching?!

My son's behavior in God's house is far from stellar. He has screamed "num nums" (snacks) during the Communion offering. He has loudly announced when he is ready for Mass to be over. However, he is quite intrigued by this higher being that sees all, hears all and knows all. He was finally old enough to attend vacation bible camp this summer. We explained what he would learn that week. He was quite insulted that God was NOT his teacher. However, he enjoyed camp. He learned about the Bible, sang songs and, of course, ate snacks. He was in "heaven". He loves to say Grace at meals, even fighting with his sister for the privilege. He fails to see the irony of that. He asks lots of questions. At first, I thought he was trying to establish a deeper connection to God. Now, I realize he is taking stock. His questions include, but are not limited to: "Did God make everyone?" "How did God make everyone?" "Did God make trucks?" "Is God really old?" "How fast can God run?" "How does God go potty?" "Does God sleep?" "How can God see everyone?" "Why can't we see/hear him?" Today, he asked if God can REALLY see and hear everything. He got very worried when I told him God could and does see and hear everything. He asked if God could see him go potty, fight with his sister and get put in time out. How do I answer that? I don't want him to freak out about going potty. However, I kind of like the idea of having some reinforcements with the negative behavior. And I kind of like idea of God being on my side backing me up when I am faced with parenting challenges. I can add "because God is watching" to "Because I said so". When we got out of the car, he looked up at the sky and starting explaining, defending and justifying himself and his behavior. He followed it up with request that God go watch someone else for a while. And he promised to be good. I think God knows when he is being snowed. I think God will be keeping a sharp eye on my little guy. I watched my son's version of offering up a prayer to God and added one of my own - "Dear God, Thank you for having my back. Thank you for granting me the patience to deal with all these questions. And, thank you, for letting me witness this little exchange because I will remember it always." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment