Saturday, September 8, 2012

Vacation Styles

I like going on vacation as much as the next person. But, I've learned that people have different ideas about "vacation" and "fun". One friend likes her vacations to be sporty and athletic. And she thinks she is part Gladiator. So, I was quite happy to land in Hawaii for our 10 day trip to discover she has a sprained wrist. No crack of dawn grudge matches. I used my tennis racket bag to store my extra books and hair dryer. She did convince me to wake up at the crack of dawn to watch the sunrise over a volcano then bike ride DOWN the volcano. That one, I am glad I did. It was an amazing experience. She is also lucky I didn't toss her INTO the volcano at 5:30 a.m. Another friend and I went to Toronto for shopping, theater and afternoon tea. When she learned of our itinerary, she bowed out, saying that having her teeth drilled would be more fun than getting all dressed up and sipping tea. We were not offended. We have all been on a trip with someone who didn't want to be there. Not exactly the fun experience everyone hopes for. This is why my friends stopped dragging me to dance clubs in 1993. That, and my horrifically bad dancing. My husband has convinced me to go to Disney 4 times. The first time we were engaged so I was still on my best behavior. Also, we were childless and didn't mind waiting in line. We slept in, went on some rides and experienced the night life. The second trip was with our 4 year old when I was 5 months pregnant. Not a traumatic trip until we all caught the flu. Flying while pregnant with the flu is NOT an experience I ever hope to relive. The third trip was with our 6 year old and 18 month old. I was apprehensive but our "militant Disney" friends planned the whole thing and it worked out great. They did all the planning. They told us what to do and when to do it. Blind obedience made it a successful trip. The fourth trip was the complete opposite. It started with us all trapped in a car for days on end, driving through all 63 states to get to "the happiest place on Earth". The trip ended with me getting heat stroke and breaking my camera. It's not the "happiest place on Earth". It is the hottest and most crowded place on Earth. My next trip will be great. Two high school friends and I are going to Cabo. Our plans include lounging by the pool and using the swim up bar to consume as much Diet Coke as possible. No scuba diving, no hang gliding, or any other death defying sports. Our goal is to exert as little thought and energy as possible. As an added bonus, they know I snore like a rhino with a head cold so I get my own room. No kids barging in at o'dark thirty demanding food. No cooking, cleaning, laundry, errands, chores, etc. No place to be. Nothing to do. This vacation won't be about what we did on vacation. It will be about what we don't have to do. I want to sit back, relax with my friends and take advantage of every cheesy photo op I can find or create. Watch out, Cabo. Here I come with my camera. Say "cheese-y".

No comments:

Post a Comment