Saturday, September 8, 2012

Who Was That Masked Child?

Most of my stories include the phrases "Was that out loud?", "It wasn't my fault!" or "In my defense...". Well, this morning, I think my darling daughter used all three phrases and not in a good way. Today was the first day of school and she was very excited. Clothes were selected, accessories were assembled, hair was styled and her breakfast order was placed. She woke up eager and ready to go to school. While she waited for breakfast to be ready, she and her brother tried playing together. It lasted maybe 5 minutes. Fights broke out because she was bossy and controlling and her bother is 4 (he resists all authority - including mom and dad's). Kids were chasing each other around the kitchen. I'm channeling my deeply buried inner June Cleaver and stirring oatmeal on the stove and ignoring the screams, crying and laughing. No, that is not a typo. They were laughing AND crying at the same time. I took away the toy they were fighting over and told them to sit down to eat. Sara responded with tragic wails about how I was ruining her day, her education and her life. This permanent emotional damage to my melodramatic daughter took place in less than 15 minutes. I was accused of "being mean just for the sake of being mean" and "never wanting her to be happy ever again". I am the meanest mom to ever grace the planet because I did not want to listen to fighting, screaming and crying at 7:00 a.m. Maybe she was secretly nervous about starting a new school. She had been asking to go all summer. She attended summer camp there. She went to orientation last week. These melodramatic outbursts are few and far between lately so I was thrown for a loop. Usually their fights last under 10 minutes and resolve themselves if ignored. While Christian was happily eating his pancakes, I ignored her claims of a scarred childhood. Once she realized that she needed to eat breakfast and get ready for school, she calmed down. She quickly ate, brushed her teeth and hair. She put on her shoes and backpack at warp speed. She was sitting and buckled in the car before I could even find my car keys. Who was that masked child throwing a fit?

No comments:

Post a Comment