Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Phrase of the Day is.... Sedation Repair

Two words I never, ever wanted to hear..... sedation repair. Especially when it needs to be done to/on my 4 year old. I make Shirley McLaine look like a calm, rational, reasonable and stoic mother when my kids are sick, hurt or injured. Put them in the hospital and I pretty much lose it. Tonight, Christian busted his lip wide open. He was running a million miles an hour and forgot to stop, tripped and fell. JFK bled less than my son. I had blood all over me. Christian was covered in it, too. I threw some ice on it, put him in the car, grabbed his sister from drama class and flew to the ER. I may have driven the wrong way down a one way street, but, it was convenient. Ninety minutes in the E.R. and he was still bleeding. He kept it covered with the ice so I couldn't even see how bad it really was. The doctors examined him but his lip was so swollen and bloody they could not even tell what was going on or how much damage had been done. He may have lost a tooth. I started to pass out and remembered that Sara was in the room with me and I have to actually keep it together. They "suggested" a "sedation repair". Sounds good. Can I have some sedation, too? Even after the repair, my poor baby's lip looked like a mangled and bloody version of Bubba's lip from "Forrest Gump". The medic used the term "hamburger". Not helping, dude. This my my baby we are talking about. I don't want to see it, much less hear it discussed in such graphic terms. Throughout this, my son was remarkably calm. It must have been a combination of fear, pain and exhaustion. After 3 hours in the hospital, we headed home, way past everyone's bedtime. I cleaned up Christian, who was still drooling blood. Sara kindly offered to put herself to bed. I gave her a grateful hug and kiss. I have to explain to Christian that he cannot sleep with his treasured stuffed animals because they cannot be cleaned. My heart broke as he looked at me with his huge, tired blue eyes and started crying. "Who am I going to cuddle? I need something soft to cuddle so I can sleep." Like the poor kid has not been through enough tonight. He looks like Rocky Balboa at the end of every Rocky movie. Now the poor guy cannot snuggle with his animals. But I know if they get bloody and smelly that there is no way to clean them. And we all know that you cannot "replace" a lovey. I hugged him and put the animals on the table next to him so they can keep an eye on him. Poor kid, he was so exhausted that he just sighed, snuggled me and crawled into bed. I know he will recover quickly. I know kids are resilient. I, however, am a high strung mom. I may never recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment