Wednesday, February 8, 2012

All Ears!


Listening is not Sara's strong suit. Imagination, intelligence, creativity, humor, sweetness she's got tons to spare. Listening is not a skill she has mastered. Throw in an impatient and overwhelmed mom and it is a combustible situation. Some days are better than others. Today was a great day. When she came home from school, she put away her shoes and coat and washed her hands WITHOUT reminding! She politely asked if she could play on the computer. I agreed but reminded her that we had a lot to get done before we need to leave for CCD tonight. When her time was up, she shut off the computer, no questions asked, no arguments. At this point, I started to wonder if aliens had invaded her body but I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth so I rolled with it. She did her homework without fidgeting, demanding snacks or potty breaks. She was amazed at how quickly homework CAN be done. I decided to seize the opportunity to have her shower. Amazingly, the bathroom wasn't flooded AND all the shampoo, conditioner and soap got rinsed out. Next on my agenda were birthday and get well cards for various family members. Normally, she would take the cards to her room so she can "create" and they are never seen again. I still have my 17 year old niece's incomplete 12-year birthday card. She disappeared into her room for about 10 minutes. She emerged with 2 very nicely written cards (with illustrations). To summarize, in less than one hour, my easily distracted almsot 8 year old completed homework, a shower, 2 cards and decorated her Valentine Box for school. I told her how proud I was of her and pointed out that now she has time to herself before we have to leave. She is taking a much deserved break with her coveted DS. And I am bragging on my blog about her. It's been a good day for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment