Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Teacher conferences


Every teacher conference I have ever had about Sara has gone the exact same way: She is very bright, excels academically but, for the love of all things good and holy, can she please try listening occasionally? And, by the way, she is the most stubborn and obstinate child on the planet. The phrase should be changed from stubborn as a mule to stubborn as Sara. And, why on earth does she think she is on equal footing with the teachers? She does not have the right to negotiate, and/or argue, debate every little aspect of her education. And, if there is a more unorganized child, no one has ever met him or her.

Don't get me wrong. I have a very open mind and would love to get some insight into my child. 99% of the time I am in the teacher's side because we face the same challenges at home. We need all the support we can get. And if someone has a brilliant plan to help us handle our smart but stubborn child, I am all ears. I fully support teachers. I know how challenging their job is and how over-worked and underpaid they are. I could never face what they face every day without developing an anger management and drinking problem. I fully support any and all efforts her teachers make to help Sara excel in school, academically and socially. Sara can be her own worst enemy. She loves people and wants to be friends with everyone. Sometimes her eagerness gets in her way and she scares people off. Luckily, her teacher this year sees this and works with Sara in a very effective manner. I'm drafting a proposal for her to live with us continually until Sara goes off to college. I think she may go for it. She's a teacher. She is a glutton for punishment, hard working and willing to work for little pay. Now I just have convince Paul and her teacher to accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment