Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Play Date

Christian has a love/hate relationship with play dates. His mother loves them. They give me a break from entertaining an active 3 year old boy and provide a captive adult for 2 hours. He hates them because he is forced to share his toys and take turns. But this one may be different. His hero and best friend from school is coming over. The planning of this play date took more organizing and planning the the raid on Osamba Bin Laden. Christian naps. His buddy does not. Both have older sisters with after school activities and homework. First, his dad called to confirm the time and our address. For the last 10 days, I have had a mysteriously froggy voice. When he called at 10:15 a.m., he asked if he had woken me up. Really? I have an 8 year old and 3 year old. On what planet does that allow for slumber at 10 a.m.? (I would nap then I if could). Christian overheard the conversation and promptly announced that he could not, in fact, wait until this afternoon to see his buddy. "That is toooo long." I distracted him from his torturous wait with a snack. Then he asked what he should wear for the play date. Can you tell he has an older sister? He started outlining how the play date would work. He firmly declared that the girls have to play upstairs and cannot play with the boys. (I can actually hear Sara's voice coming from him on that one). Poor girls, no Spiderman or dinosaurs today. Now he is asking how long his friend can stay. My son has no concept of time. Everything is in terms of "how many sleeps". He thinks minutes are seconds. And everything takes too long. He wants his buddy to live here. In the bathtub. I just want everyone to survive with limbs and feelings in tact.

No comments:

Post a Comment