Friday, August 5, 2011

Changing my outlook and attitude


"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10

The glass is half full. The glass is half empty. The glass is chipped and dirty. The grass is greener on the other side. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

There are two ways to look at everything. It can be so easy to fall into the habit of dwelling on the negative. We might not even realize we are doing it. I know I'm guilty of it. Paul is working late again. Instead, I should be happy my husband has a fulfilling job that allows me to stay home with the kids. The kids are fighting over toys again. I'm lucky I have 2 healthy kids who are fortunate enough to have a household full of toys. The laundry is piling up. We are fortunate enough to have closets full of nice clothes and a washer/dryer. Christian won't stop repeating himself. Thank goodness his speech therapy was successful. The bills keep coming in. We are not in debt up to our eyeballs. Sara has too much homework. Sara is doing well in school and learning.

I'm no Pollyanna but I'm realizing that I tend to look at the the world in a half-empty and dirty glass way. Last year at MOPS, we had a pastor speak to us about complaining and how contagious it is. It spreads like yawning or lice. He challenged us to go 24 hours without complaining. I never thought I could do it. But, I surprised myself. I did it and it wasn't as hard as I feared. I have friends and family who have a lot on their plates right now. They are facing real challenges. I made a conscious decision to stop (or try to stop) my complaining, nagging and whiny. Instead, I'm going to focus on all the good in my life. I'm going to hope and pray that things improve for those around me. Well, I'm gonna try.

No comments:

Post a Comment