Thursday, August 4, 2011

Counting my blessings


Proverbs 17:22

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."

I need to step back, sit down and remember all the blessing I have in my life instead of focusing on the challenges I face. Because, in reality, my challenges are minuscule in the grand scheme of things. I have wonderful husband. We have 2 healthy, happy (mostly) children. My husband has a job that he loves. We have a nice home. We have a good group of friends. We have very supportive family. So, why do I focus on the negatives? The kids are fighting, whiny, etc. My husband is working late again. The lawn needs to be mowed. The laundry is piling up. The dishwasher needs to be run and emptied. I'm coming down with a cold.

Sometimes is too easy to forget all the good in my life. Maybe I need to stop taking the easy road. Maybe I need to stop being such a whiner and realize I have a pretty great life. There are people out there that have problems and face challenges I cannot fathom. I need to be more patient - with myself, my kids, my husband, my friends. I need to treat those around me with kindness, respect and courtesy. I need to be at peace with myself.

When I was growing up, my mom cooked every meal, did the laundry, and attended school functions. She kept our house running. She kept our family together and happy. I don't remember her complaining about the petty, little things that happened. Her faith in God and family kept her focused and happy. She had unlimited faith and love. She inspires me daily to live up to her example.

No comments:

Post a Comment