Thursday, September 22, 2011

It's All About Me



I like to tease my friends and family that it's all about me all the time. Ok, so maybe I'm not completely kidding. Wouldn't it be great if the world revolved around you? Everything happened exactly how and when you wanted it? I know that is never going to happen but it's nice to wish. Imagine it. The kids obey all the time. No yelling, no fighting. The playroom would always be clean. I would never trip over toys or have to search for missing socks. Christian would be potty trained. Bath time would be efficient. The bathroom would not resemble the last 20 minutes of the Titanic's sinking. Friends are always available to chat or go out for girls' night. Telemarketers never call. I would never have to wait in line anywhere. Dinner would never be burned or missing ingredients (like tonight's meal). I would never have to rush somewhere and stress about being late.

Here is how the life of a wife and stay at home mother really works. The kids have selective hearing and amnesia. They hear what they want to hear when they want to hear it. They forget the basic rules of safety and hygiene. Husbands forget to tell you when they have to work late or go out of town. They spring faculty dinners and in-laws on you at the last minute. Everyone's schedule comes first because it has to. The kids activities and doctor appointments take precedence. The husband's work schedule is more important because, hey, we gotta keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. When exactly did my life get taken over by other people? I used to have a say in my own life. I used to be in control. Oh, wait, I know. It happened 7 years ago when I had our first child. I'll get my life back someday, won't I? Actually, my life now is pretty great so I probably shouldn't whine too much. But I'm gonna anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment