Monday, September 26, 2011

Kids Do The Darndest Things



My kids fight like cats and dogs. Or like Kate and Jon Gosselin. They usually wait until I am on the phone to start the yelling and screaming. I've resorted to making calls from the garage and bathroom just to have a sliver of a chance of quiet. Today was a prime example. Sara came home from school, had a snack and did some homework. Christian played with his toys and puzzles quietly. I jumped at the chance to make a phone call. Like an animal smelling wounded prey, they saw their chance and pounced. On each other. I have no idea what crime was committed by which felon. I just heard ear-piercing screams and sobs. Using hand gestures worthy of an air traffic controller, I sent Sara to her room and Christian to the kitchen table to eat snacks. (Eating shuts the kid up - briefly). FYI - I was on the phone for a total of 7 minutes.

Peace and quiet is briefly restored. Dinner is served early because both kids declare they are starving. They inhale their dinner with little mess and no fuss. My kids will do anything to eat avocado. So, as a treat for eating dinner and clearing their plates nicely, I start slicing up avocado. I hand Sara hers and she starts to devour it. Then I cut up the 2nd one. Big mistake. I'm no avocado expert, but I'm guessing that the black mushy thing I cut open was not edible. I tell Christian that we don't have any more avocados. He looks sad. Sara gets up, grabs her avocado and puts the whole plate in front of him. I couldn't believe it. Granted, it wasn't chocolate but it was a close second for her. It was a completely unprompted and selfless act. 30 minutes earlier she was ready to throttle the kid and now she is handing him a coveted treat. He hugged her and said she is his best friend. Kids do the darndest things.

No comments:

Post a Comment