Friday, June 24, 2011

My son the artist


Today Christian and I attended his first art class. There are very few summers classes/camps for 2/3 year olds, so I was thrilled to learn that the South Bend Museum of Art offers a wife range of classes for kids. It's going to be a great class. The teacher is energetic and patient. The classroom is set up for them. Tables, chairs, everything is at their level. She had them start with paper, paint dots, chalk, and pencils. They could draw whatever and however they wanted while we waited for class to start. The kids loved it. They got freedom to explore, create and be messy. Each week she introduces a theme to the kids. This week was black & white and lines. The next project was glue sticks and strips of paper. Christian loved cutting and gluing his project together. Being a lefty, it took some maneuvering to figure out how to use the scissors. But the kid is determined and eventually got it to work. I sat back and let him discover and create at his own pace. He was proud of his creations. A couple times, he got upset because he had paint all over his hands. I told him art is messy and fun. The last project was a group project. The teacher rolled out a long sheet of paper and roller brushes. Each child got to roll paint on a section and use different scrapers. I loved watching my son explore this new experience. Seeing him learn how to use scissors, create unique art and work with kids his age on a group project was exciting. He is edging out of the toddler parallel play. He was asking for supplies, sharing, taking turns and saying thank you. I am proud of my budding artist. I'm glad I found a class we can enjoy together. It's going to be a colorful summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment