Monday, June 6, 2011

Want to be friends?


"Hi, I'm Sara. Want to be friends?" That is how Sara makes friends. In the 30 minutes we spent at the indoor play area, she made two friends with this direct and simple approach. 9 times out of 10, it works for her. I wish it were that simple for grown ups. Making friends as adults is hard. Where do you meet people? How do you approach them? How do you know if you have anything in common? If I'm out with the kids, I'm chasing one and reprimanding the other. So, sitting down for a chat is usually out of the question. Or, even worse, my kid has just thrown a rock at your kid at the park and my introduction will include marching my not-so-sorry toddler up to yours for an apology. Not the best ice-breaker. I know this from experience. With age comes experience and wisdom. But, maybe kids have the right idea with their no-nonsense approach. I'm not saying I'll try this approach next time I'm out in public but I do wish there was a grown-up equivalent.

No comments:

Post a Comment