Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Second Chances


Sara started camp this week. She loves going to camp, trying new things and meeting new people. Yesterday when I picked her up she seemed a little down. When I asked her what was bothering her, she told me that a girl was mean to her. Sara has a tendency to be 'slightly' over-sensitive so I wasn't sure if this was an over-reaction on her part. One of the reasons I chose this camp is for its diversity. She will be with kids from all walks of life - different races, backgrounds, cultures and religions. Where we live is not the most diverse place so it'll be good for her to experience new people. We talked about giving people second chances and trying to make new friends.

When I picked her up today, she was smiling and skipping. She was very excited because she made friends with the girl. I asked her to tell me what happened. She walked up to the girl and asked her if they could be friends today. She also complimented the girl on something she made. It worked. They were buddies all day for group actuvities. I was proud of her for trying again with this girl. It just shows that everybody has an off day and deserves a second chance. It also showed my daughter that giving someone the benefit of the doubt and trying again usually pays off for everybody. I'm proud of her. She learned a valuable lesson today.

No comments:

Post a Comment