Friday, April 29, 2011

Fairytale Wedding


The world watched as a commoner became a princess in a fairytale wedding. There were carriages, horses, queens and cheering crowds. She wore a fancy dress, a crown and beautiful flowers as she wed the man of her dreams. Every little girl dreams of marrying a prince and becoming a princess. As we get older, things change (slightly). We still want to marry the man of our dreams and have a "fairytale" wedding. There is no such thing as a fairytale wedding. Something will go wrong - whether it's a flower girl bawling (you know who you are), a church without air-conditioning making the bride sweat through her dress (me), someone tripping on the altar (not me, I swear). But those things don't ruin the "big day". It's not about having the 'perfect' wedding. It's about marrying the person you love and celebrating it with your friends and family. By that criteria, I had a 'perfect' wedding, even if my beloved niece ate my piece of cake, leaving me high and dry (and hungry).

I've been married to my prince for almost 11 years. He will be the first to tell you that I am no princess. Being married is no fairytale. It's not very glamorous and a lot of work. You will be faced with many challenges - health, finances, jobs, family to name a few. You don't need a prince. You need a partner. Someone who understands you. Someone who has seen you at your worst and loves you through it. Someone to be in the trenches with you. Someone who will pick you up when you are down. Someone you can lean on and count on. I married the man of my dreams. And I'm living happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment