Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ocean of regret

An ocean of regret. We all have regrets. They can be shallow, deep, endless, intimidating and overwhelming. How much of what we do and how we act is rooted in fear and/or regret? Is that really for the best? Since no one I know can walk on water, maybe we need to find another way to tread water in our lives. I've never seen regret accomplish anything. It doesn't solve anything. It doesn't motivate anyone. It certainly doesn't inspire anyone. Yet, it is a powerful force. How do you overcome your regrets? Can you learn the lesson, put it in the past and move forward? It would certainly make life easier and happier.

I have regrets everyday. Could I have been more patient with my kids? Did I spend enough time with them? Was I the best mother I could be today? Did I show them that I love them? Was I a patient and loving wife or was I so caught up in the mundane things that make up my day that he got pushed aside? Could I have been a better friend to someone going through a hard time? Was I a good listener? Was I attentIve to the needs of those around me? As my day comes to an end and I try to switch off my brain, what do these questions and regrets accomplish? After all, as Scarlett O'Hara says, tomorrow is another day. I can start over with a fresh slate. Even if I was the crankiest mom and most oblivious wife on the planet, no one seems to be holding it against me the next morning (except maybe me).

No comments:

Post a Comment