Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mother-Daughter Club



Sara and I had our first book club meeting and it was a great success. We read "Betsy-Tacy" by Maude Lovelace. Reading these books again as an adult and sharing them with my daughter is a wonderful experience. My mother introduced me to these books and I am thrilled to have the same experience with my daughter. Like me, Sara is a bookworm. Once she has a book in her hands, she is in another world.

Being the only 2 members of our elite and exclusive club, we got to make up any rules we wanted. Here they are and they are strictly enforced:

Both members must agree on the book
Meetings must involve food and dessert
No one else is invited (especially little brothers)
We take turns reading our favorite parts aloud
No interrupting
No arguing about the book
Costumes are encouraged

As usual, Sara had a unique perspective. At first, she treated book club like a book report for school. Then I explained that we are sharing the book and our thoughts with each other. She can do it any way she wants. She was thrilled. When we sat down to discuss the book, I was amazed. We had a great discussion. She asked me what I liked best about the book, what was my favorite part, what I liked about each character, what it would have been like to live back then. She put a lot of thought into this. It was wonderful to have these conversations with her. Once again I was shocked at how bright she is. I love the way her mind works. She really put a lot of thought and effort into this experience. I cannot wait until our next meeting.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are doing this! I have been reading with my 11 year-old since he was in 3rd grade. We started with The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Did it solely because I thought they would be too scary. Instead, we have had a delightful time talking about the various choices. We've done the Percy Jackson series, 39 Clues series, Ordinary Boy series and are now doing the Secret Series. A great way to spend time together. So glad you are doing this.

    ReplyDelete