Monday, May 16, 2011

Botox and Parenting


We all have days when we doubt our ability to parent our children lovingly and effectively. I have many of those days. But, when I read an article about a mother giving her 8 year old Botox injections, I feel better about my parenting skills and decisions. It makes me worry less about the junk food my kids consumed over the weekend. My question is - how do you wake up, decide that injecting botulism into a healthy little girl is a smart parenting move? How do you then convince someone to sell you the said poison? How do you convince this unsuspecting child to sit still for it? I've tried giving my kids regular oral medicine, clean their ears, and clip their nails. These were down in the mud wresting matches. I think if I came at my child's face with a needle full of poison that she would run and hide until she was 18.

After a busy weekend of family in town to celebrate Sara's First Communion, 2 late nights, multiple parties and servings of cake and pie, my kids were exhausted. They displayed their sleep-deprived state by being extra-whiny and fussy. This made my 2 year old a brief guest at our party yesterday. I decided that the best remedy for their cranky and tired moods was an afternoon of couch time with some cartoons. Then I spent the rest of the day worrying that their brains were going to fall out and stain my carpet. Despite multiple reassurances from multiple sources, I'm still convinced I've done irreparable harm to their IQs and overall childhood development. After reading about the Mother of the Year with a syringe, I'm feeling slightly better about my parenting. My heart goes out to this little girl. I think she is going to have a tough time in life trying to make her mother happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment