Monday, May 9, 2011

The terrible, horrible, no-good, rotten day


We all have good days, bad days, really bad days and really good days. Today, I had a good day. Christian let me sleep until 7 am. Sara got ready quickly for school. Christian woke up from his nap in a good mood. We were invited to play at a friend's house. It was a beautiful spring day. We headed over to their house to enjoy the sun and their swing set. I spent the drive time outlining what was acceptable and unacceptable behavior. My kids promised me they would share, not hit, take turns, say please and thank you. Turns out - my son is a big fat liar. He did not share or take turns. He did hit. He took toys. In other words, he was a typical 2 year old boy. Why was it a good day? Because my friends took it in stride when my son did these things. I put him in time out. I made him apologize and return the purloined goodies. They both have sons. They understood that he wasn't a deviant and I wasn't a bad mother.

Another friend had a really bad day. Her day included a child with a dislocated elbow, an emergency trip to the doctor, a disastrous Brownie troop meeting and a toddler still awake at 9:30 pm. She has me on speed dial for these days because I seem to have more than my fair share of those kind of bad days. She knew I could relate and sympathize. Ok, I also teased her (a little). I'm sure there is a bad day heading my way in the near future. I'll call her and get the same 'royal' treatment. As long as you know the terrible, horrible, no-good, rotten day will end and you can call a friend at the end of that day, it will all be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment