Saturday, May 28, 2011

Locks of Love


Today, my 7 year old daughter, Sara, donated 10 inches of hair to Locks of Love (http://www.locksoflove.org/). She has been growing out her hair for over a year. She was very excited yet nervous to donate her hair. When we explained that it will go to a little girl who lost her hair because medication made it fall out, she was sold. She was thrilled with her new short 'do. I couldn't stop staring at her in amazement. She looked like a completely different girl - older, more mature. She was so proud of herself. Everyone in the salon told her how happy her beautiful hair was going to make some little girl. All the attention made her a little embarrassed and suddenly she was my little girl again.

When we read the instructions for donating the hair, Sara asked if she could write to the little girl who would receive her hair. She wrote the following note: Dear Child, I hope you like my hair. When I grew up, I thought it was very pretty. By the way, my name is Sara. PS - Feel better. PPS- enjoy styling my hair.

She asked if she could make friends with the little girl. We had to explain that we don't know where it will go or where the little girl lives but she will definitely get the note.

I have never been more proud of my daughter. She showed more concern about someone less fortunate than herself and gave of herself without thinking about herself at all. These are the parenting moments I cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment