Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Peaceful Playdate


Sara is enjoying a play date with a friend. It's been loud, messy, chaotic and I don't care. Why? Because they are having a great time. They are playing together nicely. Since Sara is so much younger than the rest of her 2nd grade classmates, sometimes she overcompensates by being a little bossy or controlling. I've always heard that 3 is a deadly number for girls. So, I typically invite 1 girl over at a time. I try to be the super cool mom. They can have junk food, make a mess, and be loud. As long as they play nicely with each other and don't pick on Christian, I pretty much let them run free. It's reassuring to watch Sara interact with her friends. Sometimes I feel like I am talking to a brick wall. I'm always reminding her to be considerate of people's feelings and remember to play fairly. She listens with one ear, if I'm lucky. But, when a friend comes over, she shares, takes turns, and is very solicitous of her friends. She wants them to have a good time. She is the hostess with the mostest. Now, if I can get her to play with her little brother that way, I'll be the happiest and greatest mom on the planet. I know. Wishful thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment