Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Surprise! It's bedtime (again)


It happens every night. The sun rises. The sun sets. We wake up. We go to bed. So, why, may I ask, is it such a shock every night when bedtime rolls around? I know I'm lucky. My oldest napped until she was 5. No, I didn't drug her with Benadryl. Since starting 2nd grade, she has been trying to convince me that her classmates stay up until 9 or 10 pm every night. Their parents assure me this is not true. She wakes up at 6:45 for school. Her bedtime is 7:30 p.m. She gets plenty of warning before this shocking event occurs every night. We have a set routine. She brushes her teeth then reads in bed. Then one of us sings to her, cuddles her, and tucks her and her menagerie of animal friends into bed. We turn out the lights and say goodnight. So, why does she persist in this farce? This is how it goes every night. "I'm not tired yet. Please let me stay up. I won't be tired in the morning. I promise." You have to admire the perseverance. We don't give in yet she tries most nights to convince me that she is as nocturnal as a bat. This is not a case where you can sit down and explain the science of sleep and how much each person needs. A 7 year old wants to stay up and party. She wants to negotiate and compromise. Sadly, for her, we do not run a democratic home. My husband and I are the benevolent dictators. When we say goodnight, we better not see you again until morning. Sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment